Monday, April 4, 2011

Laura Mitchell's Letter


Salisbury University is one of the best universities in Maryland and ranked among the top state universities in the country.  SU’s presence in Salisbury has made our city a more vital and vibrant place, attracting businesses because of the large student population. In turn, these additional businesses have helped to provide our city with a thriving economy. I want to enhance the relationship between SU and the city of Salisbury. We need to forge partnerships between the city and the expertise on campus to solve some of our municipal problems and to attract more businesses.
As you probably know, my husband is a chemistry professor and we are both very involved with his students and various clubs and campus activates. As a result of our involvement, we have also heard and seen first-hand how students have been victimized by crime, take advantage of or taken for granted in many arenas. I am acutely aware of the issues that SU students have faced such as harassment, access to affordable and livable off-campus housing, and parking. I want the city council to be receptive to student needs and work to make Salisbury more student-friendly, not just because it affects many people we know but because it is the right thing to do. The City government should respect and engage all its citizens.  
In my own campaign, I have the assistance of several current SU students, SU alumni, and SU faculty.  Without their help, I wouldn’t have succeeded in the primary. This brings me to the most important action that SU students can do right now to make their lives better: VOTE! I want SU students to get out and vote so that their voices can be heard.  As this past primary showed, only five votes separated sixth place from seventh, determining who would continue to the general election on April 5th. I definitely want your vote, but I really just want you to vote so that we can shake this city out of its political apathy. Contact me at lauramitchell.org Let me know your thoughts and concerns. Together we can create a better, more civil city council and make Salisbury a great city for all of our residents. Please call me if you have any questions or concerns that I have not addressed. I hope to see you at the polls, and if I do, please stop and say hello.
Thank you,
 
Laura Mitchell
410-422-2694

No comments: